Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Club Haikus

I have the coolest book club. I know, the terms cool and book club seem like oxymorons, but man are we fantasmagoric. We (the MOJOs) are thinking about franchising our book club model and making money off of its amazingness. Book rating spreadsheet and formula + secret meeting ingredient + themed parties + annual trip to Red Lake to shoot guns = recipe for success. Ok, fine, the secret meeting ingredient is alcohol. Mass amounts.

Still, I love my book club friends. The minority in a world of women who love drama, I am often short on female friends who don't care that I don't wear nail polish and actually want to hear what I think about a book, world event, or, let's face it, their dip recipe.

This week, our oldest and wisest member shared the 3 rules for life she came up with while in college:
1) It's better to be smart than to be cute
2) Boys are stupid
3) Girls stick together

Wow, such concise wisdom. Really, what else does a girl need to know? I decided it was the perfect inspiration for a haiku contest! Honestly, my book club friends often pretend to entertain my nerdy leanings and mostly just make fun of me for said leanings, so I really didn't think they would go for it, but jump on the bandwagon they did. I'll keep them anonymous to protect the lame, the non-innocent and the haiku rule breaker/highest comic relief award winner(Jill).

Brains over beauty
Boys and men are stupid
Girls stick together

Achieve smart not cute
Men are eternally dumb
Stick with the MOJOs

The following is one entry (several stanzas that remind me of the sorting hat songs from HP):
A girl's rules of life
Are a simple trifecta
No matter your age

You must remember
It is better to be smart
Than simply be cute

No matter the guise
Or age of the offender
Boys are just stupid

Above all the rest
Stick with each of your sisters
Always at your side

And, finally, my favorite:
Brilliant not Bimbo
Boys are turds in a punch bowl
Xs cross whereas Ys divide

No comments:

Post a Comment